With the narcissist, it’s often the unspoken words that carry the crucial part of the message. Notice the underlying meanings and [unspoken words].
- If you stay, I’ll help you fix everything you need to fix [for me].
- If you leave, you’re a quitter [and we* don’t accept quitters].
*the narcissist doesn’t speak for the self but rather uses the collective “we” for power
- Letting go means you’ve given up [on me].
- If you let go [of me] it means you haven’t practiced hard enough, haven’t been dedicated long enough, and haven’t wanted it enough.
- You’re my everything, you’re my world—you hold all the power [which is what I say to you to keep you coming back to me].